Progressive. Queer. Feminist. Opinionated.

Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Bush to pick Supreme Court nominee soon

Word on the street (yo) is that Bush will pick his new Supreme Court nominee soon, possibly today. Of course, we heard similar news about Rehnquist's retirment, and he's still holding in there.

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Bush is close to a decision on his first nominee to the Supreme Court and could make his announcement as early as Tuesday, Republican sources said.

The sources said Bush is leaning toward picking a woman to fill the vacancy left by retiring Supreme Court Justice Sandra Day O'Connor.

"The time is now," said a Republican strategist close to the White House of Bush's announcement.


I started to think about my feelings about a female judge. I'm all but certain that this person will be fairly conservative, but I feel better thinking that she might be a woman. I can't really explain this. I just know that it wasn't a woman who compared gay marriage to people having sex with dogs, and it wasn't a woman who blamed 911 on gays and feminists. And I understand that my belief that a woman would be better is unfounded. There are plenty of female conservatives - oh, and I just remembered Coulter - but I somehow safer if a woman is chosen. This could just be my own gender bias. Yet, O'Connor was a conservative judge who ended up often voting more moderately.

How does everyone else feel about this? Do you feel better about a woman judge? Do you feel that same bias that's affecting me? Or do you feel pretty nervous about the judge regardless of his or her sex or gender?

1 Comments:

Blogger the roommate said...

if it were someone more liberal choosing, I'd prefer a guy. Because a guy chosen would have to be fairly liberal to maintain the image of liberal, but a woman is a good sneaky way to get a hard core conservative in there.
On the other hand, no female judge is going to say women don't belong in the workplace. And Bush is not worried about losing points with liberals

7:09 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home