Progressive. Queer. Feminist. Opinionated.

Thursday, July 28, 2005

Ivins vs. O'Reilly, a fight to the death

If I can stay on the topic of the ACLU and Bill O'Reilly for a moment...

News Hounds writes that O'Reilly is angry at Molly Ivins. This interests me for a few reasons. Number one, I'm a big fan of Molly Ivins. I recently read Bushwacked: Life In George W. Bush's America, a book I can't recommend enough. I was fortunate enough to get my hands on the audio book so I could listen while I shelved at my library. I found myself often stopping in my work just to lean against the book shelves and shake my head. Ivins has written a damn powerful book. Also, she's got a lovely southern drawl which lends itself to the writing, I feel.

I digress. The News Hounds piece also interests me because O'Reilly's a man of the lie, and I do enjoy hearing from anyone who can take him on. I wish Ivins would come on his show. She's a strong and independent woman, and I think she could stand up to him.

The News Hounds piece is about an article that Ivins recently wrote called "You can't not care: Plamegate illustrates pattern of deception in Bush administration." Here's the paragraph News Hounds says probably pissed O'Reilly off:

I know that sludge-for-brains like Bill O'Reilly attack the ACLU for being "un-American," but when Bill O'Reilly's constitutional rights are violated, the ACLU will stand up for him just like they did for Oliver North, Communists, the KKK, atheists, movement conservatives and everyone else they've defended over the years. The premise is easily understood: If the government can take away one person's rights, it can take away everyone's.


As you can imagine, O'Reilly was not amused. Check out the links.

2 Comments:

Anonymous texasshiva said...

Molly Ivins is my hero. I would like to write like her, but never will be able to...she has a gift.

For those who like her work, here's a link to her latest syndicated piece (and an two previous pieces). And here's a link to the Fort Worth Star-Telegram compilation of her writings. (You need to log in...use me@annoying.com and dontbugme1 as your login and password, respectively).

1:02 PM

 
Blogger Harper said...

Hey, thanks for the links!

I agree about her writing. She has a very smooth and effortless style, and her voice really comes through. We read one of her pieces in, of all places, a non fiction class I took. I was interested in her, so I looked into other books.

11:57 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home