Progressive. Queer. Feminist. Opinionated.

Monday, July 25, 2005

No sex for you!

I actually laughed when I saw this: Civil Unions OK But No Sex Anglican Priests Told.

The Church of England has accepted a report that will allow gay and lesbian priests to have civil unions but forbids them from having sex.

The proposal was approved Monday by Archbishop of Canterbury Rowan Williams - a move that has angered both gays and homophobes in the Church.

Same-sex domestic partnerships become legal in the UK December 5. (story) Although they offer most of the same rights and responsibilities of marriage they cannot be called marriages.

Under the Civil Partnerships law, same-sex couples have inheritance rights to their partners' estates, hospital visitation rights, and the right to receive the spouses share of their partner's pension.


I honestly don't know if this is a step in the right or wrong direction. At least unions are being recognized, but what business does the church have in the bedroom? Here's what Rev. Richard Kirker has to say about this decision:

“This statement is perfectly consistent with the Church of England’s policy of double dealing, duplicity and disregard for decency," said the Rev. Richard Kirker, General Secretary of the Lesbian and Gay Christian Movement.

“At a time where lesbian and gay people – yet alone lesbian and gay Christians – are looking to the Church to affirm their families and to help build stability and provide a safe space for them, the Church spits in their face. The Bishops’ Statement betrays contempt, once more, for lesbian and gay relationships and should be rejected as unloving, unpastoral and unworkable.


This whole argument above makes me think about something we discussed in a wonderful class I took, Here and Queer. How do you define gay love? To be gay means to have sexual feelings for someone of the same sex. So, in a way, gay love is defined by sex. At the same time, gay rights activists have fought for years to stop the business of gays and lesbians being defined strictly by who they sleep with. "We're sons and daughters, lawyers and doctors, artists and writers, sports stars and computer nerds!" has been their general argument. And we hardly define the straight person by who he or she wants to have sex with. It's an interesting argument, I think. I personally feel it's important to keep in mind that a gay person does have sexual feelings for someone of the same sex. I want to be accepted and loved in modern society, but I don't want to be assimulated, if you know what I mean. I'm proud of my love for my girlfriend, and proud of the fact that she's not a man. I wouldn't love her if she were a man. She's my girlfriend, after all.

I think it's also interesting to think about how much time the straight rulers of the world spend thinking about gay sex. I'm quite serious about this. For the Anglican church to make such a statement, they must have spent a great deal of time thinking about, debating, and considering gay sex. For President Bush to be so concerned with a marriage "protection" act, he must spend a great deal of time thinking about gay love. There are many other examples: Santorum's comments about "man on dog" sex, for one. I recently linked to Rev. Wilson's comments about lesbians "strapping yourself up with something." And what about Tom Coburn (a Republican Senator of Oklahoma) comments, as shown below:

You know, Josh Burkeen is our rep down here in the southeast area. He lives in Colgate and travels out of Atoka. He was telling me lesbianism is so rampant in some of the schools in southeast Oklahoma that they'll only let one girl go to the bathroom. Now think about it. Think about that issue. How is it that that's happened to us?"

Tom Coburn, 8/31/04 (link)


These people insist we're (the queers) pervered, insidious, and bad for America, but who's got sex on the brain? You tell me.

I'll be utterly honest with you, however. For all the hours Bush spends trying to control my future marriage, for all the time he spends thinking about whether or not we should be allowed to enter a legal contract, I can promise you this: I've never wasted a moment thinking about George W. Bush's sex life.

1 Comments:

Blogger Cass said...

*cheers*

10:56 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home