Progressive. Queer. Feminist. Opinionated.

Friday, July 29, 2005

Safe Sex with insects, Roe vs Wade, and gay license plates

This post is in honor of userinfodokool, who has been one of our most loyal readers and supporters. He sends us almost an email a day with news links, and I've been a real ass in following through on these emails. I keep meaning to put up his links, and I keep forgetting. For this I solemnly apologize, and will now provide a great deal of them.

----


I saw this ad awhile maybe a year ago, but I could never find it again. Luckily, userinfodokool found it. This is a French AIDS awareness ad. Do not click if you are insect phobic. Cass, for the love of God, keep Beth away from this.

I like this ad because it's disgusting and terrifying, and it really forces the viewr to think about what exactly he or she faces when he or she has unprotected sex. Can you imagine the US showing an ad like this? I can't.

This reminds me of what I find most disgusting about Bush's abstinence only programs. I won't argue about this fact: the only way to stay completely safe from STDs and pregnancy is abstinence. But the likelihood of all teenagers staying abstinent is so completely slim it makes me laugh. The worst things about these programs is their inability to spread knowledge. One of my favorite Margaret Cho quotes is, "Silence equals nonexistence." Although she wasn't talking about the subject we're looking at here, I think this quote can apply. Silence doesn't solve anything, but that's what these programs supports. So Bush is supporting the idea that we send kids away from Sex Ed with little to know information about sex. That's so dangerous. It makes me cringe to think about it.

----


Here's another dangerous issues: AG: High Court Not Bound by Roe V. Wade.

Talking about the landmark court decision legalizing abortion, Attorney General Alberto Gonzales said a Supreme Court justice does not have to follow a previous ruling "if you believe it's wrong."

In an interview with The Associated Press on Tuesday, Gonzales said the legal right to abortion is settled for lower courts but not the Supreme Court, suggesting high-court nominee John Roberts would not be bound by his past statement that the 1973
Roe v. Wade decision settled the issue.


I honestly don't know what to say about this. I think the article speaks for itself.

----


I saw this one a few days ago: 'GAYSROK' Plate Ruled OK in Utah. I found it on 365Gay.com: Conservative Utah To Allow Gay-Positive License Plates.

The Utah State Tax Commission has decided to approve three personalized license plates with gay-positive messages after earlier denying them.

The decision is a first for the commission, which, until this decision, had never approved a personalized plate containing the word "gay."

In December 2004, Elizabeth Solomon applied for three personalized license plates: "GAY WE GO," "GAYS R OK," and "GAY RYTS." The Commission approved the "GAY WE GO" plate but denied the application for the latter two plates.

The American Civil Liberties Union of Utah appealed the denial on behalf of Solomon.


I think this is a positive step in the fight to stop allow "gay" to be a bad word. Of course, I'm also a little leery of the floodgates this could open.

----


Again, thank you to userinfodokool for these links. I'll try to keep up on them in the future. He has a real talent for emailing links that I find to be both interesting and pertinent to this site. I think it's important for you readers to be able to access them, so I need to be on top of my game and allow that to happen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home