Progressive. Queer. Feminist. Opinionated.

Tuesday, July 12, 2005

"What, me worry?"

You've probably heard about this.

Hillary Clinton made this statement during the inaugural Aspen Ideas Festival:

"I sometimes feel that Alfred E. Neuman is in charge in Washington," Clinton said ... the former first lady drew a laugh from the crowd when she described Bush's attitude toward tough issues with Neuman's catch phrase: "What, me worry?" (link)


Of course, the GOP is firing back:

"At a time when President Bush and most elected officials are focused on the security of our nation, Mrs. Clinton seems focused on taking partisan jabs and promoting her presidential campaign," added New York's GOP chairman, Stephen Minarik. "Her priorities are clearly out of whack."


Excuse me?

Days ago, Karl Rove - the same man who is under intense fire for leaking a CIA official's name - said that liberals didn't "get" 911. He said we wanted to give therapy to the terrorists.

And now Clinton, speaking up about an administration that has yet to say anything about this buffoon's leak, is getting attacked for "partisan jabs." And while I understand the complaint - if the leader I admired so much were compared to a legendary cartoon representation of stupidity, I too would be annoyed - I can't stand this blatant hypocrisy. And the small idealist part of me that's left just wishes these GOP talking heads who attack Clinton would take a second to look, truly look, at the policies their leader is pushing.

Maybe Neuman and Bush don't have enough in common. After all, Neuman hasn't caused anywhere near the amound of death, economic failure, and social regression that Bush has.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home