Progressive. Queer. Feminist. Opinionated.

Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Back from outer space

Aaaaand I'm back. I'm settled into my room, my schedule is set, and I can return to the web at long last.

Let's start with a happy story. We need more happy stories in the news.

Gay couple aim for wedding date:

Mike Dunn always knew he was gay.

But for 16 years of his life he was married to a woman.

The 55-year-old grew up in an era where homosexuality was still illegal, and attitudes were different.

Now, nearly 30 years after gay acts between men were made legal, Mike is hoping to be - with his partner Miles Harding, 40 - one of the first couples to have their partnership legally recognised.

The Birmingham couple were at Manchester's Pride festival, and took part in The Celebration, held over the weekend to mark the advent of the new Civil Partnership Act, which becomes law in December.

They were among couples who signed a book to "pre-register" their civil partnership declaration.

"It's about time," Mike says. "When I was growing up there was nothing for gay people, no bars, no clubs, nowhere to go, no community - nowhere you could have a relationship with someone.

"It's amazing to see how times have changed. I've just finished a job with a council where every single person knew I was gay. Thirty years ago, that just couldn't have happened."


This is a nice "feel good" stories. I think it's good to read stories like that when there are so many problems in the world. On that note, my thoughts are with those in Katrina'a path. I hope New Orleans can bounce back from this. I've been in my happy little college bubble lately, so I didn't know what was going on until I visited CNN a few hours ago.

So let's return to some good news.

Calif. Legislature Passes Gay Civil Rights Act:

The California Assembly has passed legislation banning discrimination against gays, lesbians and the transgendered in employment, housing and the delivery of goods and services.

The bill now heads to the Governor’s desk for his signature.

California law prohibited discrimination based on sex, race, color, religion, ancestry, national origin, disability or medical condition. But, it did not specifically name members of the LGBT community as a protected group.

Although courts have consistently interpreted the law as applying to gays civil rights groups in the state fought for a number of years to have the law amended to be fully inclusive.

The legislation adds sexual orientation, gender identity or marital status to the existing law.


I always like it when I hear that another state is opening up to gay rights. That's always another state I can live in with Ion in the future.

Well, I'm back to checkiing out the videos I missed while I was on hiatus. Crooks and Liars and One Good Move have put up some great videos lately. I like this one especially. (Oh, Jon Stewart, my love for you is pure).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home