Progressive. Queer. Feminist. Opinionated.

Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Don't you go dissin' Carter

I feel like I should rescind what I said in my last post about "laughing it off." I'm having a lot of grouble laughing this one off.

Again, from a News Hounds:

Neil Cavuto, who Fox touts as its head honcho business news guy, opened his "business" show (yeah, right) like this today (August 1, 2005):

"Well, is Jimmy Carter's popping off about Gitmo while speaking abroad traitorous, and for our markets, potentially ruinous? Today, why a top Carter critic says he's gone from being nuts to now just dangerous."

Cavuto outlined some of the items he'd cover later in the show and then Fox played a video clip of former President Carter saying, "I think what's going on at Guantanamo Bay and in Abu Ghraib and other places is a disgrace to the United States of America."

Cavuto continued, "Is it time for Jimmy Carter to just shut up?! Today a look at comments he made abroad this weekend and why some say he's hurting our country's image and yes, maybe our country's stocks."

Cavuto introduced himself and continued again: "What in the world to make of former President Jimmy Carter? He is no fan of this President of course. Criticized the war in Iraq. Criticized the treatment of prisoners we had in Iraq and this past weekend criticized our prison facility at Gitmo, many of whose residents have sympathies and direct ties to Iraq." Whatever his views are, should a former President "be expressing them with a foreign audience as Carter did? Is it wrong?"

Next came radio talk show host, Steve Malzberg who was allowed to flail away at Carter: "I'm not happy. I think the only disgrace in this whole scenario is Jimmy Carter." Malzberg went on to say Carter wrote a speech for Yassar Arafat, he "supported and made supporting statements of Tito, Ortega, of Assad, of Kim Jung ll." Before the first Gulf war he "wrote every member of the UN Security Council urging them not to be part of the coalition. Jimmy Carter has this fixation, a fascination, with supporting terrorist regimes in the Arab world, no matter what." (Read on...)


I can't stand this "you're with us or against us" attitude. Carter has worked tirelessly for peace, and he has morons like this saying that he supports terrorism! (Here's some very, very basic information on the 39th President).

I'm trying to figure out why I'm so obsessed with this type of news, this site News Hounds, and uncovering the truth about slanderers "news" reporters. Probably the healthiest thing for me to do would be to ignore crackpots like Cavuto.

Maybe I can track my obsession back to something personal. My parents watch Fox a lot. It's their primary news source. So I have proof that good people are watching this awful channel, and, most likely, believing the lies. That bothers me to no end. I know that my dad watches Bill O'Reilly, so he hears O'Reilly scream and yell and try to control people with that awful shout of, "Shut up!" And this above post is another example of someone who wants to silence: Cavuto asks, "Is it time for Jimmy Carter to just shut up?" I think that's what bothers me the most. I'm a big believer that silence is one of the most dangerous things in this world. And a lot of the contributers to Fox wish to silence those who disagree with this administration.

I find that appalling. I may disagree with Bush and his cronies, but that doesn't change the fact that I'm an American. I recognize every day that I live in a wonderful country. I have the right to write this blog, read News Hounds and I have the right to go finish my day of work by relaxing in front of the TV and watching shows like the Daily Show. America has many wonderful things about it, and I do care about my country. But I also care that my country is being helmed by what appears to be a fanatic.

And, lastly, I can think of one more thing that bothers me the most about Fox and others like it. By polarizing like it does, Fox pulls me into the "us against them" crowd by making me another person who holds a big "Us" sign over my head, viewing all other people as either an ally or a foe. Fox is the foe, and it's watchers are the Enemy. Fox seems to revel in its role as a divider.

I should be just disagreeing with Bush supporters. I should just think they are wrong and I worry that they believe such awful lies. But I find myself seeing them as Enemies to the cause of justice. Hell, I find myself including my own parents in this polarized view of the world. And I feel that Fox has contributed to this mindset, a mindset I'm not happy to find within myself.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home