Progressive. Queer. Feminist. Opinionated.

Thursday, August 04, 2005

Links from DOKool: Japan and Hendrix

userinfodokool has suggested some more links, and I bring them to you once again....



After 26 centuries, is Japan finally fit for a queen?

Japan's monarchy is so woven into the island nation's traditions that it survived defeat in World War II and invasion by the Mongols, and predates the introduction of rice. Now, a 3-year-old girl may be about to bring 2,600 years of male-dominated tradition crashing down


I think I heard about this when the little girl was born. From what I've read about Japan (and please forgive me if I'm incorrect here), Japan's still very patriarchal - and I think this article shows that:

"The tradition of the male line taking priority is a very important historical precedent," Mr. Ohara [expert on religious culture at Kokugakuin University] says. "We have a major responsibility not only to our ancestors, but also to future generations to preserve that."


I took Japanese for a few years. Both of my Japanese teachers, a younger woman and an older one, said that gender is chaning in Japan, albeit slowly. So maybe putting a woman on the throne - if it does happen - could be a positive step.

Side note: If for no other reason, visit the site to see the picture of the little girl. She's adorable. (Uh oh. Are my maternal instincts showing?)

----


Also, I don't have anything to add to this, but this could be fun to read:

Book: Hendrix Used Gay Ruse to Avoid 'Nam

----



P.S. I'm leaving for Ohio (and home) on Saturday. My parents are here and visiting from tomorrow evening onward. Posts will be sparse from Ion and me during this time.

I feel like I should wave to Mom now. ::waves:: Hi, Mom! (Did I mention my mom's a reader of Dyke Squad? I recognize that I'm a very fortunate person to have the support of my family in this blog).

1 Comments:

Anonymous Becky said...

OMG, she is so CUTE!!!

I am also amused, because if they're using the kanji I suspect they are, Aiko's name literally means 'love-child.'

Damn. Such a cute little girl :)

3:09 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home