Progressive. Queer. Feminist. Opinionated.

Tuesday, August 23, 2005

People of the lie

Someone emailed Crooks and Liars an interesting quote they found in M. Scott Peck's book People of the Lie:

"It is characteristic of those who are evil to judge others as evil. Unable to acknowledge their own imperfections, they must explain away their flaws by blaming others. And, if necessary, they will even destory others in the name of righteousness."


Go check out the link.. There's a discussion going on in the comments.

I don't know anything about Peck or his book, so I won't say anything about that, but I found the quote to be very interesting. My mom used to use the phrase "People of the Lie" all the time when I was young, and I only found out recently that it wasn't something she just made up.

I also don't believe that Bush is evil. I think he is misguided, I think he is wrong, and I think he gets caught up in his own idea of righteousness, so much so that he'll pursue a course he feels to be right no matter what the consequences are. But I also believe he thinks he's doing the right thing for the country. I know a lot of people will disagree with me on this point, but I do think Bush believes he's truly helping America. And, in all honesty, that's what I think is really scary about him: he believes that he's chosen by God, and he believes he's right.

Anyway, I think it's really tough to use such a charged word like "evil." I'm sure a hundred college professors could spend a hundred years debating and never reach a proper fool-proof definition for "evil."

Back to the quote: I don't think it's right to use the above quote as evidence that Bush is "evil," but I do think it's interesting if we look at the quote and then at Bush's tactics. So, yes, go check out the link.

So tell me. What do you think?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Johnicholas said...

I think Socrates has a dialog about "enemies". He sortof destroys the idea of enemy. I wish I could remember it better.

Anyway, evil is like enemies: people don't want to hurt evil people, they want to help evil people realize that they are hurting people.

I think a useful definition of "evil" is "must be stopped", rather than "malicious".

2:53 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home