Progressive. Queer. Feminist. Opinionated.

Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Rick Santorum wants to eat my babies

So the other day I saw Rick Santorum on The Daily Show. (Crooks and Liars gives a link to a video of it.) And you know? Aside from Jon Stewart not ripping into Santorum as much as I would really, really have wanted him to, I was surprised by how-- well, how personable Santorum is. I mean, he seems like a nice guy.

The hell?

He seems friendly, and funny, and even intelligent. And then he says something that just sort of trips the brain.

Again, what's society's purpose in marriage? Society's purpose - the reasons civilizations have held up marriage is because they want to establish and support and secure the relationship that is in the best interest of the future of the society, which is, a man and a woman having children and providing the stability for those children to be raised in the future.

There are a hundred arguments that could be brought up here, and have been. It's astonishing to just watch a guy, smiling and friendly, sweep over all those arguments with a steady line of talking points and -- the weird part -- seeming like he really believed them. Most of the time, when I see politicians make with the talking points, you can just tell they know it's bullshit. Santorum? Not so.

So maybe I don't feel so bad for Jon Stewart floundering in the face of Santorum's cheerful bigotry. Because faced with the same situation, I think I'd either flounder or, frankly, be seriously tempted to bash the guy's head in with a brick. And you know, option two is really not the done thing -- not even on cable.

(Link)

1 Comments:

Blogger Harper said...

Did you see Jon Stewart reply to charges that he was too soft on Santorum? He did so on the next episode. It was pretty well done. I still agree with you, though; if Stewart can take apart the guys in Crossfire, I wish he would have been more direct toward Santorum.

Anyway, here's something about Santorum you might find interesting: Check out this page.

Rick Santorum claimed yesterday on ABC’s “This Week with George Stephanopoulos” that in July 2002, when he wrote the article that has recently resurfaced, calling Boston the “liberal” seat of church abuse, he did not know that there were similar cases in PA. In my earlier post on this today, I noted that George Stephanopoulos called him on that statement. ....

10:26 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home