Progressive. Queer. Feminist. Opinionated.

Friday, August 12, 2005

Softball lesbians.

If you have a chance, go see your nearest women's fastpitch professional softball league. I've gone often in the past few years, and tonight I saw a great game. Everytime I return to the field, I remember every single wonderful thing about the sport and every single anxiety. I was a pitcher at varsity level for four years. That's something that stays with you.

The best part about going to these games - in my narrow minded opinion - is being in the crowd. This is because softball brings the big dykes. I say that in the most loving manner. The crowd is filled with lesbians. When I'm not at my college, a softball game is where I feel the most at home and safe. Remember when Margaret Cho said that lesbians love whale watching? Well, I've witnessed that they also love softball.

I suppose you always hear things like that, though; lesbians like softball. Lesbians teach PE. Lesbians like etc, etc. This made me think about the roommate's most recent post, I know what boys like.... You might have seen this similar site floating around: Dr. Dobson's Newsletter: Can Homosexuality Be Treated and Prevented? Like the roommate's site, there are all these little keys. Here's what the site says:

Dr. Nicolosi has permitted me to share some quotes from this manuscript that will answer many questions. These are some of his words:

There are certain signs of prehomosexuality which are easy to recognize, and the signs come early in the child's life. Most come under the heading of "cross-gender behavior." There are five markers to [diagnose] a child with "gender-identity disorder." They are:

1. Repeatedly stated desire to be, or insistence that he or she is, the other sex.

2. In boys, preference for cross-dressing, or simulating female attire. In girls, insistence on wearing only stereotypical masculine clothing.

3. Strong and persistent preference for cross-sexual roles in make-believe play, or persistent fantasies of being the other sex.

4. Intense desire to participate in stereotypical games and pastimes of the other sex.

5. Strong preference for playmates of the other sex.


I find this newsletter idiotic, yet I have to admit that I experience a warm feeling when I see all the other lesbians at the softball game and think, "Yes. This is home." I don't want to generalize and say that softball players are lesbians - that would be incorrect - or that all male dancers are gay - again, not true - but I can't help but feel pride when I think of myself as a lesbian softball player.

I played for twelve years. I was a pitcher for many of those years. Ion played for eight years. She was a catcher. I find this coincidence to be delightful.

Anyway, I don't think this post has much of a purpose. It's just me thinking outloud. I'd love if you'd think outloud as well - what are your opinions on anything I mentioned?

I'll close with this direct quote from the newsletter:

Meanwhile, the boy's father has to do his part. He needs to mirror and affirm his son's maleness. He can play rough-and-tumble games with his son, in ways that are decidedly different from the games he would play with a little girl. He can help his son learn to throw and catch a ball. He can teach him to pound a square wooden peg into a square hole in a pegboard. He can even take his son with him into the shower, where the boy cannot help but notice that Dad has a penis, just like his, only bigger.


And some of the straight community says the gay community is obsessed with sex/genitals/whatever. Huh.

1 Comments:

Anonymous texasshiva said...

Thank you for sharing your delightful coincidence...I wish there was one for a 2nd baseman, but, alas...

3:39 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home