Progressive. Queer. Feminist. Opinionated.

Thursday, September 01, 2005

Another state for my fiancee and me to get married in

In the realm of rocktastic, California Senate approves bill allowing gay marriage.

Handing gay rights advocates a major victory, the California Senate approved legislation Thursday that would legalize same-sex marriages in the nation's most populous state.

The 21-15 vote made the Senate the first legislative chamber in the country to approve a gay marriage bill. It sets the stage for a showdown in the state Assembly, which narrowly rejected a gay marriage bill in June.

"Equality is equality, period," said one of the bill's supporters, Sen. Liz Figueroa, D-Sunol. "When I leave this Legislature, I want to be able to tell my grandchildren I stood up for dignity and rights for all."

This is pretty damn awesome. However, it wouldn't be a positive gay news article without a pinch of insanity:

Sen. Tom McClintock, R-Thousand Oaks, agreed that gay couples are entitled to certain rights but not the right to marry.

"Can't you see that marriage is a fundamentally different institution?" he said. "Marriage is the institution by which we propagate our species and inculcate our young."

It's the sad, almost desperate tone that gets me here. I mean, can't we see that it's a different institution? Which begs the question, a different institution from what? From this baby-mill definition of "till death do us part"? Sure, I can see that.

And now tell that to all the infertile couples, all the senior couples, and all the couples who just plain don't want children. I'm totally up for the "separate but equal" plan -- just make sure you cut everyone into the right categories. Until you can manage that effectively, why don't we just put that whole We Do This For Children idea on hold.

(Link)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Equality is equality, period," said one of the bill's supporters, Sen. Liz Figueroa, D-Sunol. "When I leave this Legislature, I want to be able to tell my grandchildren I stood up for dignity and rights for all."

Figueroa's running for Lt Governor.

4:34 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home