Progressive. Queer. Feminist. Opinionated.

Thursday, September 01, 2005

New Orleans and blame games

I'm watching the news right now, and it's heart-wrenching. AMERICAblog has been updating regularly, so I suggest reading them.

What I'm about to type ... well, okay. To some degree, I want to stay away from too much blame because the most important thing right now is helping these people. But I can't help but to post this bit:

Budget cuts delayed New Orleans flood control work:

Bush administration funding cuts forced federal engineers to delay improvements on the levees, floodgates and pumping stations that failed to protect New Orleans from Hurricane Katrina's floodwaters, agency documents showed on Thursday.

The former head of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, the agency that handles the infrastructure of the nation's waterways, said the damage in New Orleans probably would have been much less extensive had flood-control efforts been fully funded over the years.

"Levees would have been higher, levees would have been bigger, there would have been other pumps put in," said Mike Parker, a former Mississippi congressman who headed the engineering agency from 2001 to 2002.


I ... gosh, what to even say? A bit of me almost wants to hope that it wouldn't have made a difference cuts or no cuts. Because if Bush's actions directly led to much of this disaster ... that's just ....

Okay, I think the guy's wrong. I think he's cruel. I think he started a groundless war. But a part of me still wants to believe that he's not a total screw up. He's the president, you know? You want to believe in the president. You want to believe that he'll fix things, not screw us over. And when I read that above article, it feels like my heart's ripping out.

And then to read this post, also on AMERICAblog:

FEMA director Michael Brown just added this little line to his interview on CNN right now, refering to who FEMA is trying to hel in New Orleans: "...to help those who are stranded, who chose not to evacuate, who chose not to leave the city..."


They're playing a blame game with the victims. That's disgusting.

I'm sorry. I know my beliefs above are idealistic and unrealistic, but I'm tired and sad, and it hurts to watch the news right now. And I'm not going to pretend to be like the professional bloggers on those sites linked on the right, because I'm only 22, and I want things to be fair and just. This isn't a professional blog, this is a blog of college students (and one graduated student), and I think I can speak for all of us when I say this. This blog is a place for us to speak about our concerns, whatever they may be, and right now all I feel like speaking about is these people.

Go here. Help the victims. Please.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home