Progressive. Queer. Feminist. Opinionated.

Monday, September 05, 2005

Robert's most recent nomination

This morning, Bush nominated Roberts for Chief Justice:

President Bush nominated John Roberts on Monday to succeed William Rehnquist as Chief Justice of the Supreme Court, a move that is already raising concerns among both LGBT and some conservative groups.

The announcement from the White House came a day before the Senate was to begin confirmation hearings on Roberts' nomination to replace Sandra Day O'Connor on the high court bench.

Rehnquist died Saturday night at his Virginia home. (story) He was diagnosed with thyroid cancer last October. Rehnquist continued to perform many of his duties on the court but over the week before his death had gone into into a decline.

It is expected that O'Connor will delay her planned departure and remain with the court until after Roberts is confirmed as Chief Justice and a replacement is named for her.

Roberts is considered an enigma. What is known about him has caused concern among several conservative groups and the majority of LGBT civil rights organizations.


I'm almost relieved that a website I respect and trust called Roberts an enigma. I still don't know what to think of the guy. I've heard the bad and the good, but I'm having trouble working through it all. I will admit that Bush's confidence in him worries me: I know this speaks of my bias, but when Bush supports something, I feel a twinge of worry.

The most recent copy of 'The Advocate' contains a letter from a man who went to school with Roberts. He too finds himself unsure of what to think. Does this mean that Roberts is a private man and one who will conduct himself with dignity, or does this mean that there is something nefarious going on in his mind that none of us can see? I'm a little scared to say it, but I think only time will tell. I won't be surprised if Roberts gets the position, and then we can only sit back and watch.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home