Progressive. Queer. Feminist. Opinionated.

Saturday, September 24, 2005

United for Peace Protest - 9/24

Well, Ion and I are back from the protest!

It went well. According to the big news sites, around 100,000 people showed up.

I'm not a reporter in any way, shape, or form, so I'll just tell you how I felt about the whole thing. It was a lot of fun. I took picture after picture of the signs. I even took some moving pictures when things got really neat.

There were protesters shouting, "Tell me what democracy looks like!" so that other protesters could reply, "This is what democracy looks like!" That's probably the moment that will stay with me. It was a really powerful feeling. I'm glad I was involved.

In all, I only saw a few counter-protesters. I heard someone say that maybe 100 showed up, but I can't verify that. There was one guy with a Bible and a sign about fire and hell shouting that Satan was going to take us to hell, but I didn't pay much attention to him. Unfortunately, some people were shouting back at him; I really don't think it was worth it.

Here are the pictures. I took about 100, but these were the best.

I feel bad for this sparse entry, but I think the pictures can really speak for themselves. I'll just repeat my final point: it was a great day, and I'm glad I was there.

(By the way, I put up all my favorite pictures, but if anyone has a problem with one of the pictures - i.e. his or her face being displayed to Teh Interwebs - please tell me and I'll take the photo down).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home