Progressive. Queer. Feminist. Opinionated.

Friday, October 07, 2005

Massive Delocalization - 10/7

I'm going to start making a post every Friday concerning things only vaguely political (heck, it's Friday).

SO.

This week's topic is V for Vendetta. Perhaps you've heard about it. Perhaps not. That's not important to me night now.

I just finished reading it and let me just say wow. Now, this could just be because I have crazy Alan Moore love (it's a relatively new love as I put off reading his work until recently because all through high school everyone was all like "Omg, liek read Watchmen its liek so cool!!!1!" But I love him. More than Garth Ennis even. That's a lot of love for me.). It could also be because the movie is coming out soon and it not only has Natalie Portman, but Natalie Portman with a sexy shaved head. Don't believe me? See for yourself. The movie trailer is a bit spoilery, I think, but that could be because I've now read the book.

You're probably wondering about the relevance of this to our whole crazy-political blogging thing.

You're also probably wondering if I'm just wanting to gush about this book. (Shut up, so I am...I do have a few weeks' worth of these posts planned out though, so hah.)

The gist of the book is that there has been basically a man-made apocalypse in the late '80's and (the story takes place in 1998) a totalitarian regime has taken over England. Everything is bad: hourly propaganda, concentration camps, ultra-right-wing bs. Luckily for freedom, a terrorist has come with plans to do away with the government. This is a really interesting story considering the state of the world these days. It centers around a terrorist, but the terrorist is in the right. I highly recommend it.

Also, Alan Moore is a brilliant, brilliant man. The book is long for a graphic novel (~200 pages), but really engaging. It's also a reexamination of freedom (making the distinction between freedom and happiness).

I don't want to get into too much more as it will spoil the read. go read it, bitch.

Oh, and here are some nice stats.

Quality 4/5
Creepiness 3/5
Humor 3/5
Left-Wing Extremism 5/5

EDIT: I forgot some linkies. Should be all fixed now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home