Progressive. Queer. Feminist. Opinionated.

Sunday, October 02, 2005

Scary stuff - the CARE Act expires

I assume you've heard about the Ryan White Comprehensive AIDS Resources Emergency (CARE) Act? It provides - well, it provided care and aid to many living with AIDS or HIV. It was to "fill the gaps" left by other care systems, and the other day it was allowed to expire.

This seems obscene to me. I ... I suppose I understand why Bush doesn't care for gay rights. I don't agree with him, but I understand it. And I understand why others don't support gay rights or tolerance. I understand that the Bible has some lines that can be used in an anti-gay way.

I don't understand something like this expiration, though. It's like the anti-hate crime bills that keep getting vetoed. How can you disagree with gay rights to the point that you'd deny health to some of your citizens? That seems insane to me.

If these politicians claim to live by the Bible - the same Bible that has a savior saving lepers, healing the sick and helping those in need - why wouldn't they help those living wtih a pretty nasty disease in America? I just don't understand this at all.

3 Comments:

Anonymous atheorist said...

leprosy isn't contagious. :P

1:02 PM

 
Blogger Robert van de Walle said...

Harper,

I've recently stumbled over the Dyke Squad, and I'm really glad about being able to read your thoughts.

I agree- how can CARE expire? Are other services tacking up the slack?

I think it shows how deeply rooted is our nation's cognitive break. Our government ought to be about providing equal protection and opportunity. Not imposing some form of morality.

11:44 AM

 
Blogger Harper said...

Ooo! Always glad to have a new reader.

Your last statement's a really excellent point, I think. I wish there were press about things like this. Although many people don't support gay marriage, I think less people would want to actively work against the health and personal welfare of a group of people. Also, let's be utterly honest: AIDS is not a gay disease, no matter how much some radicals would like to make it so.

12:34 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home