Progressive. Queer. Feminist. Opinionated.

Sunday, October 02, 2005

Vatican's new anti-gay movement

So have I mentioned latey that the Vatican is going nuts?

Vatican Considering Barring Gay-Friendly Politicians From Sacrament:

Canadian Prime Minister Paul Martin and Spanish Prime Minister Jose Luis Rodriguez Zapatero who legalized same-sex marriage in their countries, and about a dozen American politicians who support gay marriage - including San Francisco mayor Gavin Newsom who issued marriage licenses last year to same-sex couples - could be refused the sacraments of the Roman Catholic Church under a proposal being considered by the Vatican.

Catholic bishops meeting in Vatican City at the first synod led by newly anointed Pope Benedict XVI are expected to consider refusing communion to politicians who pass laws that violate church doctrine.

The synod gets underway today.


I guess they're trying to regain the control they once had. I've never seen an institution so against change.

I feel bad for gay Catholics. I really do. I don't want to sound ... patronizing? I suppose patronizing is the right word. Anyway, it'd be tough to live in a Church that is so incredibly hateful. I left the Lutheran Church for refusing to be more open - they didn't come out against gays per se. But they weren't open enough, so I left.

The Catholic Church is on a mission, it seems.

2 Comments:

Blogger John Rossomando said...

I guess you want to worship an Idol: a God of your own creation, not the God who revealed himself through the sacred scriptures. God loves you, but do you love God?

The doers of the law will be saved, not merely the hearers of the law. Romans 2:8

Gay pride=hatred of God.

God rebukes the proud and gives grace to the humble. James 4:6

12:50 AM

 
Anonymous Wherdragon said...

I apologize for poking the troll, but really.

If God loves gays, why does the fanatic religious community hate them?

...thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment.
And the second is *the same as it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. There is no other commandment greater than these (Mark 12:30-31. *-my emphasis. It's in the Greek)

Now, the commandments are the law, yes? Please explain to me how hatred of gays equals love of neighbor. Or how allowing child molesters to go unpunished and unchecked equals love of neighbor. Or how you plan to reconcile the Hebrew Torah (or Law) with the lives of most Christians, who eat pork, among other things that go against the Law.

I also note that you quote only the words of Paul, not Jesus. Last time I checked, Paul was not God, no matter what centuries of theologians have thought.

6:57 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home