Progressive. Queer. Feminist. Opinionated.

Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Lesbians can have babies!

This is good news.

Virginia Drops Move To Block In-Vitro For Lesbians:

A bill that lesbians said was designed to keep them from having children has been dropped.

Although the legislation would have prevented any unmarried woman from receiving in-vitro fertilization - its impact would have been felt most by lesbians.

Delegate Bob Marshall (R-Prince William) filed the bill on the first day of the new session of the legislature.

The measure would have prohibited licensed health professionals from performing medical procedures for unmarried women who want to get pregnant, including everything from in vitro fertilization to artificial insemination by a donor.


This was a ridiculous. I'm glad it failed.

1 Comments:

Blogger Brandy said...

I just stumbled upon your blog, and CAN'T BELIEVE that there was legislature pending in Virginia to block unmarried women from in-vitro. Although I am straight, I come from a long line of strong, smart, and hysterically funny lesbians. It breaks my heart that my 4 great aunts were never able to have kids due to the option not being available to them. I applaud my 2 cousins, 3 aunts, and 1 uncle (all of whom are gay and lesbian) who have been through the artificial insemination/IVF route and are amazing parents. THANK GOD THIS LEGISLATION WAS BLOCKED!!!

9:02 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home