Progressive. Queer. Feminist. Opinionated.

Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Robinson seeking treatment

The Episcopal Church's first openly gay bishop, V. Gene Robinson, has started treatment for alcoholism.

"I am writing to you from an alcohol treatment center where on February 1, with the encouragement and support of my partner, daughters and colleagues, I checked myself in to deal with my increasing dependence on alcohol," Robinson wrote in an e-mail to clergy Monday that was released Tuesday by the Diocese of New Hampshire.

Robinson's assistant, the Rev. Tim Rich, said Tuesday there was no crisis that led to Robinson's decision to seek treatment but rather a growing awareness of his problem.

In his letter, Robinson said he had been dealing with alcoholism for years and had considered it "as a failure of will or discipline on my part, rather than a disease over which my particular body simply has no control, except to stop drinking altogether." [link]


It takes a lot of courage for the man to do this, so I wish him the greatest of luck.

This is going to be spun like hell, huh?

Well, I'm glad Robinson's facing these issues. And I hope things work out well for him.

1 Comments:

Anonymous thelatinist said...

I think it's kind of disgusting that in every story Robinson must be "openly gay bishop." Especially in this case, Gene Robinson is neither bishop nor gay, but merely a man with a disease.

11:53 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home