Progressive. Queer. Feminist. Opinionated.

Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Holy lipstick lesbians, Batwoman!

Oh, come on. I'm a comic book geek. OF COURSE I had to post about this baby.

Batwoman has returned and she's one with the gay. (Every news story I've read about this has been careful to state that she's a "lipstick lesbian." Can we talk about how much this amuses me? She's not a dyke! Keep that in mind. NOT A DYKE!)

Now, Batwoman is not to be confused with Batgirl, although if you ask me Cassandra/Cassie Cain (the last Batgirl) was damn gay, too. Hello, her and Spoiler anyone? But that might be my own biases showing.

Anyway, there are some interesting discussions going on in some comic book blogs.

Daniel, here, says:

Hey, Didio [DC Executive Editor Dan Didio ]? You want to impress me with how courageous your storytellers are? Make "Kate" Kane straight and have Bruce Wayne come out of the closet. That might explain once and for all why Dick Grayson and Koriand'r couldn't make it work. There's an idea: A "new" character revelation that actually answers as many questions as it creates.


Good point, man.

Here's another post about how Batwoman was originally introduced to squash rumors that Batman was gay. Ha. That so didn't work. (Speaking of the gay in comics, this post mentions the Hulking/Wiccan relationship in Marvel's Young Avengers. Now, if you want beautifully done gay characters, go there. I haven't read a lot of this title, but what I have read impressed me.

However, if you're still curious about Batwoman, I've heard that you shouldn't venture into the DC boards at this point, though. A lot of young men frequent those boards, and (from what I've heard), it's been a little ... less than tactful over there.



Anyway, since I should cite my sources, I'd like to mention where I find these comic book blogs. I use the wonderful, wonderful site When Fangirls Attack. This blog links to posts about women in comics. These posts are often feminist, often gay friendly, and when I found When Fangirls Attack, I thought I died and went to heaven. I've been meaning to link to it for a while now, so here we go.

1 Comments:

Anonymous sajee said...

I was wondering when you'd write about this. I'm only a fledgling comic geek so I don't really have anything of substance to add except
a) gay visibility = yay
and
b) her outfit is made of awesome

That is all.

2:51 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home