Progressive. Queer. Feminist. Opinionated.

Monday, July 17, 2006

Details

So some scary stuff is happening in the world lately, huh?

Give me a moment to digress, however - if you're reading this site regularly (I think we have a few regular readers, mostly from my personal journal or the personal journals of the other contributors), you've probably noticed the posts have been a more sporadic lately. I'll be honest with you - I'm in some pretty heavy pre-medical work right now, and so I have to use my time wisely. Education comes first, time to relax comes next, and then online fun happens. I think blogging is fun, but I don't always have time. So I will continue to update as much as I can, but my dedication simply cannot be what it was last year when I was working a nine to five job in a library. Allow me to conclude with an apology.

All right, enough administrative details. Back to the scary world. I'm having trouble reading the news lately. Ion also admitted this to me yesterday. It's scary to open a webpage or look at the TV because of what's happening in the Middle East.

It's also confusing because - and I'll admit this readily - I have very little understanding of all that's happening. I understand the basics: the State of Israel was formed shortly after WWII. This was the traditional Jewish homeland, but there was an exile. Since then, other people have come to live there. And now these two people both claim the land and there’s a lot of tension … to say the least.

And that's about where my knowledge stops. It's a little ... is scary the right word? I think it is: it’s scary to discover that I know so little about a topic, especially one that is so important to our contemporary understanding of a global community. But I spent so much time in school reading literature, reading about the witch hunts of Europe and early America, reading about queer history or queer theory, etc, etc, I somehow managed to miss something that's pretty damn important.

And so now I find myself staring at the news, feeling immensely saddened by all the destruction and death, but having very little actual understanding of the situation. Obviously, this is something I need to remedy as soon as possible. But there’s chemistry reading to do, and work to get done … and is that the saddest part of all? That I don’t think I have the time right now? Sheesh, man. Sheesh.

2 Comments:

Anonymous inonit said...

The Wikipedia article on the history of Israel isn't the worst place to start, and doesn't take too long. You can cut it further by skimming, as the section headings themselves are helpful.

8:39 AM

 
Blogger Harper said...

Thank you!

I've actually heard someone else mention this in passing, so I'm definitely going to check it out. Thanks again.

11:29 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home