Progressive. Queer. Feminist. Opinionated.

Wednesday, July 26, 2006

A thousand boy-band jokes cry out in vengeance...

I was going to post today about the amazingness of hearing radio announcers casually talking about George Michael and his "marriage" to his "fiance" and gossiping about it going down the tubes like any other celebrity relationship -- but that's all for a different post, because now we have the news that:

Lance Bass is gay.

Is it wrong that I'm sitting here, doing a little jig? 'N Sync, heartthrob central for legions of 'tweens, teens, and Real People Slashers, had a member who is gay. Gay gay gay gay gay.

"I knew that I was in this popular band and I had four other guys' careers in my hand, and I knew that if I ever acted on it or even said (that I was gay), it would overpower everything," says Bass, referring to bandmates Joey Fatone, Chris Kirkpatrick, JC Chasez and Justin Timberlake.

"I didn’t know: Could that be the end of ’N Sync? So I had that weight on me of like, ‘Wow, if I ever let anyone know, it's bad.' So I just never did," he says speaking about his sexual orientation for the first time with PEOPLE.


A lousy thought to have about one's own sexuality, but at the same time, it's only been a couple of years since the last 'N Sync album, and here he is, out and about. There are older generations of gay men who never came out, who are still not out (*cough Richard Simmons cough*), and then there's Lance. Representin'.

Downside? (Well, besides the fact that he was pushed to coming out due to gay rumors, a subject for a different post)--

He is in a "very stable" relationship with model-actor-Amazing Race winner Reichen Lehmkuhl, 32, and is developing an Odd Couple-inspired sitcom pilot with Fatone in which his character will be gay.


Shucks. And I thought the two lovebirds on Amazing Race were too adorable for words. Damn your star power, Lance.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home